Sunday, September 28, 2008

Attending a new class

Checked out a Crestar Learning Centre branch at Siglap for suitable classes for QY. When we were there, we ran into her favourite ex-ballet teacher. QY's interest to learn ballet is re-ignited. I promised her I'll sign up for a trial class on the condition that I won't sit in. She will attend the class on her own and there is to be NO crying. She used to be so attached to us and insecure alone that she will come out of the dance studio weeping. It was so exasperating.

Then there was the English Speech and Drama class. We had experience with the teacher earlier this year when she attended her classmate's birthday party there and the teacher came in as facilitator to play with the kids. I was already impressed by the teacher then. There wouldn't many materials or teaching aids around, the classroom was pretty bare. Basically uncreative and boring. But I like that, cos I believe the lesser resources the kids have, the more creative and imaginative they have to become. And those are the qualities that I hope QY will develop.

QY attended the S&D trial class last sat. Timing was at 2.30pm which wasn't very ideal. Hot weather and it's her naptime. She was initially a little apprehensive and eyes turned teary and red. I guess she needs some time to warm up so i stood at the door for a while hoping to reassure her. Teacher quickly caught her attention with a storybook about an ape. They browsed through the book, she got them to imitate the actions of an ape. Next thing i know, QY was happily ape-ing around the room, laughing loudly and responsing very well to the teacher. RELIEF!!

I can't imagine how the teacher is going to occupy them for a hour but she did, and successfully too. For an entire hour, QY participated in all the activities and enjoyed herself tremendously. She came out beaming, jumping with joy (haven't wind down yet even though the class has ended) and asked to join the class. Even gave the teacher 2 high fives before leaving, so much rapport!!

I am definitely going to sign her up for this S&D class but not the ballet. Too many lessons, and one on each day of the weekend. No way am i going to travel to Siglap in the afternoon heat when I badly need the weekend to rest. Besides, the classes cost a bomb.

Bailed myself out of the ballet class by offering to go swimming with her instead. Frankly swimming is as tiring, but it is cheaper. I can swim too while she plays with her dad, and use that as another exercise session for myself. I bought her a swimming board to make my ballet-replacement plan look better. It worked!! No one must mention ballet again from now on.

2 comments:

M said...

BALLET!

Carrie said...

mel, i suspected it was you and you would exactly do say "Ballet!" opps... !!! *grin*