Sunday, February 24, 2008

Alone with QY

Sunday 24/2/08

150mins, 4.30-7pm, alone with QY. Maid was off, Ed was at a meeting.

4.30pm: QY woke up. Disoriented. Questioned me angrily why is she sleeping in the bedroom? Strange. Where else does she expect to sleep? Honestly I can't answer her cos it was Ed who settled her in. I was long asleep before her. She went out of the room sobbing for her daddy. Got even more upset when her grandpa told her daddy was not around.
4.45pm: I want to nap some more but can't. QY was still very upset. I felt abandoned. But had to distract her some how. "let's bring your [foil] balloon to Parkway to re-fill. Then we go look for a new bolster case for your baobei. After that we can have tea while we wait for papa to finish his meeting." Fed her milk, got her dressed and out of the house in 10 mins.
5pm: Reached parkway. She got drawn to the arcade. Dragged me around the place for sometime, tried on the mock motorbikes and cars, engage in imaginary games of racing bikes and stuff. I'm fine with her spending time there since I had all the time to spare. She eyed theose huge soft toys that require players to spend a fortune to use some flimsy tongs to pick up. I managed to convince her that the soft toys were too expensive there and we can get cheaper ones elsewhere. But I think I am over-reacting, she never quite fancy those soft toys. We watched people play electronic games. There were some simpler ones that QY could play too. We got tempted and spent $5 on the games.
5.30pm: refill balloon, buy bolster case, played on kiddy rides. She wanted to put in money but I told her we had overspent at the arcade, so can't waste money on the rides now. She watched longingly at others, and I felt a huge pang in my heart. But I have to stay firm, let her learn about trade off.
6pm: Wanted to have dinner at Swensens but the queue was extremely long. No way QY was going to stay in line and wait patiently. We moved on to check out Ajisen and found seats there. Browsed through the menu. Dismay to find no ice cream sold there. But luckily there was some kind of cold pancake with ice-cream sandwiched in the middle. The pancake was not in the regular menu. It was a special item in the promotional set meal of the month. The bloody set meal cost an obsene $19.90. Expensive because it has 3 scallops, some prawns and squids in it. I can already feel the cholesterol swimming in my blood stream and my blood vessels clotting up.
6.15pm: Ordered the set meal. No choice with the potentially fatal cholesterol contents. I promised QY ice cream. Just felt compel to compensate her, poor girl kept looking at the door behind her to see if her papa is here.
6.25pm: Noodle and side dishes served. She enjoyed my ice tea and sipped non-stop. I had to pry the cup out of her hand and take it away. She loved the noodle very much. I know that she has always liked noodle (yellow ones) but dunno why she exceptionally liked the Ajisen ones. Has beeen so since she first tasted it in 2006. She finished 3 servings, which is 3 times more than her usual intake. Even more motivated to eat and to eat on her own when she realised she was very epted with the fork and spoon. She rejected the pumpkin corquettes and cuttlefish cake thou.
7pm: Her daddy finally came while she finished up her last spoonful of noodle. She happily reported her last 2 hours of activites to him. Took half of the ice cream pancake.
Despite the high cost and bad cholesterol, we had a good evening at Ajisen. Now I know where to bring her the next time round for her favourite food. But I am so going to hunt for Ajisen substitutes to cook on my own at home. I can't pay so much just to satisfy that princess's expensive tastebuds.

1 comment:

Pei Hwa Humanities Dept said...

Wow didn't know that she is so attached to her daddy!!