Friday, December 28, 2007

Expensive lessons

Parted with $330 to pay for QY's music and ballet course fees. $165 each, for a term of 11 weeks.
Had wanted to stop her ballet after this term as it has been difficult getting her to go into the room unaccompanied. She wailed and came up with all kinds of excuses to not dance. No amount of negotiations or bribery works. I tried talking to her umpteen times, gave her the cold shoulder, scolded, coerced... all failed. Makes no sense to pay $165 a term for all these rubbish behaviour.
But while i was at the cashier making payment for her fees, she began to sing one of the songs she learnt at ballet class and was prancing around. That made me change my mind and decided to let her continue with ballet. But I am transferring her to another class, with another teacher, who allow parent accompany. This new class's timing at 2.45pm is less appropriate as it clash with her nap time. On top of that, I'll be rushing around as it goes back to back with my own yoga class. It will be hard. But I know she loves dancing and I just can't bear to take her out. Her only fault is she is just not ready to be on her own and i have no choice but to be patient and wait for her to become more independent.

Getting ready for first ballet class. She was happy at this stage, still unaware that she is going to be alone in the class later.

She is happy attending music class though. Mainly because I am with her for this class i guess. It seems an extravagence to spend so much on a 3 yr old. She doesn't learn much but I think it's a good way to engage her as well as a good opportunity for us to spend time together. On the long term, I would rather she spend time learning something (at my expense) than passively playing computer games, watch TV or off gallivanting.

No comments: